Thursday, September 8, 2011

Packing

Edit: Every three months this post gets lots of hits from new Peace Corps Trainees searching for a packing list. If this is you, click the 'Packing List' link at the top of the page to see my packing list as this post does not contain that list.

Today's been a productive day considering I don't have a job now. I listened in on two conference calls. I only had to call in for one of them, but I did both. Over-achiever, I know. It must be the marketer in me that has to collect as much information as possible, no matter how seemingly useless. I even stayed on the line at the end of each call so that I could hear the names of all of the other volunteers who called in. You may call that creepy, but I call it research.

I started packing last night. I didn't think it would be this hard. I mean, how difficult is it to take all of the stuff that I need to pack and stuff it into a couple of suitcases? I kept finding myself running into this weird emotional barrier. Once I saw everything laid out in front of me I felt overwhelmed. I'm not worried about going over my weight limit or that I will forget to pack something. It's more like the weight of what my life is going to be like for the next two years finally hit me.

I bought some seeds today. I'm not sure if they will make it past customs, but it's worth a try. It sounds like it is very easy to grow things in Rwanda, so I am excited to grow a garden once I get to my site. Of course, it's probably easier to grow a garden almost anywhere besides the High Desert! I got some basil (my favorite herb), tomatoes, zucchini, and cilantro. I should have gotten jalapenos too so that I can make salsa. Care package, anyone?

In between this illusion of productivity, I've been sitting in my room listening to Thrice's Major/Minor album over and over again. Dearest Thrice, you are going to be my crutch of sanity for the next two years!


1 comment:

  1. Michael-
    I am so proud of you & I'm going to miss you...so much. Thank you for everything you've taught me & continue to teach me.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.